09 August 2022

Road trip to Machynlleth

When I booked my trip to Machynlleth for a weekend course at the Centre for Sustainable Technology (next post for more details), I briefly pondered the logistics. I had to be on location at 9:30. They offered me a night before the course on site for a reasonable fee, but I figured it would be nicer to have a night in my tent. And the weather forecast was good! So I stuck with my idea. I hadn't done a night in my tent since the windy and rainy night above Mynydd Llandygai. I couldn't leave particularly early as I was seeing Jenny, my Welsh tutor, at six, but it was still doable.

So that was accommodation sorted. What about transport? That Wednesday I had been accepted on the co wheels scheme. Could I take the communal electric vehicle for that trip? And surprisingly, it was not booked! So I quickly booked it. I had had a little test drive on Thursday, so I figured I was ready for taking it on a long drive on Friday. This was going to be on a completely different scale from having a few minutes of driving around!

When I had got home, eaten something, cuddled the cat, watered the plants and packed my last items, I carried all my stuff to the library. I put it in the boot and off I was! 

The drive down was very comfortable and the evening was beautiful. I had initially considered sleeping in Aberllefenni, but I had left a bit later than intended, and it would be pitch dark by the time I would get there. So where sleep then? I considered Tanygrisiau, but I didn't know of any good place to sleep close to the road. I didn't want to have to walk a considerable distance into the hills! And I checked two rivers outside Blaenau Ffestiniog, but I didn't spot good locations for my tent. I decided to keep on going to Trawsfynydd. I knew you could camp by the lake! And I wouldn't drink from the lake, but I had enough water with me. The lake would be for washing. And I didn't have my map with me (I don't have a map of mid Wales and I hadn't intended to sleep this far north) so I had to just try out different little roads leading in the direction of the lake. The third one was a hit! There was a parking lot right by the lake there. On the other side of the dam were some excellent tent pitches. I settled for it. And I had to be quick; there wasn't much daylight left. I pitched the tent and then had a little dip in the lake. The evening sky was beautifully pink, there were some loud geese around, and it was idyllic. After my little swim I felt revived! And then I just drank some tea and went to bed.

My evening view

Having drunk tea that late I woke up in the middle of the night to go for a leak. The Milky Way was beautifully stretched overhead!

The next morning the lake was producing gorgeous morning mist. It was lovely to look at it while having my breakfast. I was so glad I had made this decision! 

My home in the morning

Scenic morning mist

Car patiently waiting for me


When my breakfast was finished I packed up and left. I briefly stopped in Dolgellau to buy a Saturday newspaper but otherwise I just steamed ahead to Machynlleth. 

When I got to my destination I still had plenty of charge in the battery to make it back. I knew the site had its own charging point, but I didn't even need it. No range anxiety here!

I would like to come back to where I did the course. And I certainly want to come back in the electric vehicle. It wasn't very expensive, and the feelgood factor was sky high. And it is a pleasant car to spend time in. What's not to like!

No comments: