19 August 2022

Heatwave night in the hills

We were having a heatwave! And that does mean cloudless skies and beautiful sunsets. It also means that it is a bit hot outside, obviously, so these features need to be strategically enjoyed. One evening I went for a another bike ride with Martin, and we managed very well to time it such that we had just enough daylight to come home safely. So we had gone as late, and therefore as cool, as we reasonably could! 

One night I really wanted to spend in my tent. By the time the sun is going down, it isn't very hot anymore. And then you can have a lovely evening by your tent looking at the sunset, and have a cool night’s sleep, and have your lovely outdoor breakfast before it gets too hot again! And then you can just be in the office again at 9 am. I really love that sort of mini trip.

I decided to go to the vicinity of Twll Pant Hiriol, where there is a stream. It is less than an hour on foot, but it is beautiful there, and I don't go to that very river very often. And I know you have a good view on the sunset! That also means that the morning sun doesn't burn on your tent.

I set off shortly before eight, and had my tent pitched just in time for the sunset. After sunset it is light for a fair while still, so I could just have a lovely bath and phone my mum without the need for a torch. But soon it was bedtime. It was a lovely temperature for a night in a tent. (I know, any temperature is lovely for a night in a tent if your equipment is suitable, but this was the sort of night when it isn't sweaty, but you also don't need to bring in a particularly thick sleeping bag.)


On my way

Low sun seen from behind wall

Where I ended up

The next morning I woke up at the usual time. It was light! And my tent was beautifully dry. (This was a big change from my previous night in a tent by Llyn Trawsfynydd, which left my tent absolutely soaking wet.) I decided I was going to walk to the crest of the hill with my stuff to have breakfast at; in the morning, the view over Anglesey wasn't that spectacular, and I had better have a view in the other direction. So I wandered up, sat down in the shadow of y Gyrn, and made my coffee and oatmeal.

Breakfast with a view

By the time I was done it was actually getting warm! I wasn't too sad to leave again. And not much time later I was back home, greeting the cat. Time to put the bag down and get into the office!

No comments: