24 August 2022

Ankle declared healed

When I had visited the physiotherapist for my ankle I had been given some exercises to do. He had not been specific about how much and how often, though, and I had not been quick-witted enough to ask for that. So I had just been making it up! It didn’t feel very satisfying. So when he later emailed me to ask how I was doing we made another appointment. A shorter one this time; the only thing we needed to do is check my progress, and specify how often I should do how many repeats of the various exercises he had given me.

He was pleased with the progress, but admitted I wasn't there yet. But he was happy to tell me exactly how many exercises he thought I needed. He warned me that you can never be precise; when you make progress, you might not need all the exercises any more, and there might be days when something is not quite right and you need less. But at least I now had something to hold on to. Soon I was standing outside again!

From that day on I tried to make these exercises into a routine. The first set before breakfast, a second set around lunch, and a final set in the evening. And I slowly ramped up the running. And I could feel progress happening!

The clearest example, I suppose, was when I was doing one-legged heel lifts. Initially, that had been quite easy with my left leg, but really hard with the right one. And I could just feel the difference dissipate. That was what I wanted!

After a while I dared to do my old route again, with the dash up the steep side of Moel Faban. And it felt fine! I also tried a slightly longer route, albeit without seriously steep bits, and that felt fine as well. And then I declared myself recovered!

I don't think I will be running its much as I did in early spring any time soon. I have to be on campus quite a lot, and on days when I bike to the office I don't run. So the ankle will have plenty of rest. But I have faith now that on the days that I do run, I can run pretty much whatever I want. I am really glad! Hurray for physiotherapists!

On my regular hill again! Doesn’t look too steep on the picture, but I think it was what did my ankle in anyway…




No comments: