01 July 2022

Stubborn night in the hills

June is the month of exam board meetings. Martin is our examinations officer, so he is very busy. Earlier in the year we had agreed it would be a good idea to go camping together, but there hadn't been an opportunity for it yet. That weekend we were going to go on a short hike. But when in the last one of the meetings he pointed out the task of examinations officer was, given the amount of work and when it needs to be done, unrealistically heavy and he was feeling the strain, I figured he looked like he needed a night in the hills. This tends to revive me no end. Maybe it would work for him too! So after the meeting I suggested it. He didn't take up the offer, but by then the idea of a night in the hills was lodged in my brain. And I hadn't had a week anywhere near as heavy as his, but I figured I could do with a small adventure. And I hadn't brought my tent out in ages. The weather wasn't ideal, but I decided to just pack my bag and go.

I decided to camp on the moorland above Mynydd Llandygai, where a stream splits in two. So I parked up in the village and walked in that direction. And it was a bit wetter than I had hoped. What nutter decides to go camping on a night like this! I chose to take a bit of shelter in the pumping station along the route. Its roof is largely intact. It is not a place to set up camp though; too much sheep poo and suchlike. I just read the paper for a while, and it got a bit dryer. Then I continued my way.

I got to the spot and saw that it wasn't particularly good for pitching tents. It was a very windy night (again; who decides to go camping on a night like this), so I did want to stand in a bit of shelter! But there wasn't much level ground.

I managed to find just enough in the lee side of a rock and I hoped for the best. My little tent isn't very good with strong winds! But I didn't think it would blow away. And I thought I would manage to sleep through the flapping sounds. 

I got everything ready and then went for a bath. I was a bit damp and cold and that never helps motivating you to get naked and into a stream, but once you're in it, it is amazing. And of course it was! I dried myself off, and right then a big rainshower hit and I dived headfirst into the tent.

I spend some time reading the newspaper while listening to the rain on the roof of the tent, and then I went to sleep. It might have been mid June, but it wasn't the sort of weather when a thin sleeping bag is enough! My down jacket had to provide backup. But then I was comfortable, and I slept well. 

I woke up and I could hear it wasn't raining. Good news! I zipped open the tent and I saw some sunshine. A lovely view! So I got out of bed and get that my breakfast stuff. It was still very windy, so I had to be a bit careful with the stove, but it did work out.

I love having my breakfast while looking at a beautiful empty landscape. But in this wind I didn't really linger. I also saw more rain coming, so after breakfast I brushed my teeth and packed up. Time to go home!

It was only a short walk back to the car, and an even shorter drive back home. But I had felt really away from everything. Mission accomplished!

Camping spot

Breakfast in the sun

Not only sun around

Walking back to civilisation

No comments: