14 August 2022

Small group climbing at Allt Ddu

I had been enjoying the climbing recently! And Charlotte was rallying the troops for a session at Allt Ddu (aka bus stop quarry). I was up for it. It turned out that not many other people were, so it was just the two of us. But that was okay!

She came to pick me up. She had warned me she didn't have a book, so when we got there we had to just eyeball the routes to see whether we thought they were feasable, or just work from memory. Which worked fine for me.

When we got to the crag we found a family from London on holiday. They had accidentally ended up in Allt Ddu, trying to get to Dinorwic. We pointed them in the right direction. And then we could start climbing.

We found a very easy route and Charlotte climbed it. I then top roped it. There also was an alternative start to the route, so we did that too. We got our money's worth from that route! And from the top I had seen a route on the other side. It looked like you could fix a top rope there. So when we were done with our first route, that is what I did. But when I got to the bottom of it I realised it was easier than it looked from above, and we could easily have led it. Oh well! We first did it on top rope and then led it.

Charlotte then suggested I then led the route that we had done in the beginning, and I was up for that. But she was being eaten by midges while she was belaying me, so once I was down again we called it a day. A modest session, but worth it! And lit by a beautiful setting sun. And once we got back to the cars we caught up again with the tourist family who were duly impressed by Dinorwic. 

I suppose I might have got my head into climbing again. I hope there will be a next session, and I will try to climb a bit harder then!



No comments: