06 August 2022

Kate joins the climbing

I had climbed the previous week, for the first time in the season. I had only just made it! But I had. And the week after I hoped the climb again. And I did!

Kate had indicated she was keen on starting outdoor climbing again, and liked the sound of our club. So I kept her posted. And she was available! And the venue this week would be Penmaenbach.

I picked up Charlotte and drove to Sychnant Pass. Most of the way, we were driving right behind Eifion. And on the parking lot we met Kate. And through the beautiful evening we walked to the venue!

Walking in (the venue is the platform in the background)

I was still finding my feet and so was Kate, so I suggest we start with the easiest route the venue has to offer: Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. I led it and Kate followed. I didn't think Charlotte and Eifion would be interested, so we could de-rig. I chose to do that myself, so I have to climb the route again. And then we had a look at what the others were doing. They were on Trad Police, and didn't recommend it. I have never the route, so I was intrigued anyway. I decided to give it a go. And I bailed out. My confidence levels are not very good yet! But that meant there was a quickdraw halfway up the route. What to do with that? I figured we could just go to the top of Easy Peasy carrying the second rope, and abseil from there to the top of Trad Police, and then rig it as a top rope. We hesitated as it started raining, but Charlotte had put carabiners in the top of the route again, and these needed to be retrieved anyway. And we had little to lose by bringing the other rope up, so I just climbed Easy Peasy for a third time, this time with a tail. And the rain stopped! So I rigged the other route. And then we could climb it again!

Group pic

Climbing buddies selfie

Kate managed it climbing a bit to the right of the bolts, and then I did the same thing. But I was keen to also try it to the left of the bolts. And there was time so I did. The route is entirely different then! But by then the sun was getting low and we had to get back, so we packed up all our gear and headed back to the cars. Charlotte got a bit uncomfortable in one of her muscles but we got there. 

Evening light

View from the car park

I consider that a successful evening! Hopefully a few more will follow before the season is over! And I hope Kate will join for real!

No comments: