15 August 2022

Last attempt at finding the cause of my nerve damage

When you have RSI, the most important thing to do is take away the cause. That might even solve the problem in the long run. A bit of physiotherapy undoubtedly helps too. But otherwise? I'm not sure. But when the NHS got on my case I really hoped they could make a valuable contribution, somehow. They checked the nerve damage in my arms and found out that it reaches a lot higher than my RSI does. So then they wanted to know more about that! Above the elbow I have no symptoms, so I'm not too worried about what goes on there. They checked if maybe the nerve struggles to get out of my spine unhindered, but an x-ray didn't show anything weird. Their last hope was an MRI scan.

The day came that that would happen. I had to be at Glan Clwyd hospital at 8 am. I got up early and drove there in my new favourite car: the co wheels vehicle. Soon I was pulling my nose piercing out, and laying down in the machine. The actual scan was quite comfortable, actually! You can't see much, the machine is noisy, so you don't get any meaningful input from the world and you can just daydream a bit. It seemed to be over in such a short time.

The results will come to me through my GP or Ysbyty Gwynedd (who asked for the scan) or something. They are expected in a week or two. I don't have high hopes, but if you don't scan you don't learn! Who knows what comes out of this. And in the meantime, I just keep stubbornly doing my physiotherapy exercises

Glan Clwyd Hospital by Richard Hoare, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=76432790


No comments: