12 August 2022

Will I build a wind turbine?

So I spent an entire weekend learning how to build a wind turbine. But will I build one?

Part of the answer is: I will not put a wind turbine on my own terrain. I have now seen how much effort it is to build one, and I can see why you wouldn't want to put one somewhere where the conditions aren't optimal. They advised against putting them on buildings, for reasons of turbulence. My own house would create turbulence, and there also is Neuadd Ogwen nearby, with its considerable arse. And I, of course, have a considerable garden, but it is metres below the house and the row of houses to the west, so you would need an absolutely gigantic pole to mount it on. And I don't think that is a good idea.

View past my house looking west, which is more or less the dominant wind direction here

Are any other options? Well, maybe! Susan was probably speaking in jest when she said I could build one for her garden. She lives in splendid isolation on the hill. It might work for her! And it sounds like a nice project to take on. So maybe I should bringing up again to see how serious it could be. And I myself was thinking of my Welsh tutor Jenny. I have never been to her house, but I know she has extensive fields, and she is a veritable eco-warrior. We could build one together while speaking Welsh. Everybody wins! Next time I see her I will suggest it.

I myself will have to make do with solar power for now. But this has not been a wasted weekend! Apart from the fact that I enjoyed it, I have hope that my newly learned skills might be of use somewhere here in the wider community…

No comments: