06 February 2023

Dwindling wood supplies

I have had the central heating on to keep my house at some sort of acceptable base temperature. And if I want to be comfortable in a particular room, additional heating is needed. So I sometimes have the infrared panels on. But quite a lot of the heating of my house comes out of my wood stove. It has been working really hard this winter! And that, of course, consumes wood. I had such a large amount in the garage that at some point I was running out of space. But that problem has solved itself!

During peak stock, I had a pile taller than me against the back wall. And two shelf-fulls in the cupboard Kate had given me. And the cupboard where I keep wood from the garden, also full. And my custom-made rack full of bits of stairs. And then I had the most recently added small rack; that was piled about a meter high.

As I am writing this, I still have more than half a meter of wood in the stairs rack. And the wood from the garden is still there, but I can't touch that yet; that first has to do a bit more drying. And that's it! And I still have some wood I need to saw that I could add to that, but not even that much. 

No cut firewood to be seen! Compare this to how it’s been

All that’s left, with only the rack on the left containing dry wood


So now what? I don't think I will struggle to reach the end of the wood burning season with wood I still have. But then my stock will be depleted! So I will have to spend the time before next winter arrives replenishing. I'll keep my eyes out for people doing home renovations and needing to get rid of some waste wood. And if push comes to shove, I might even have to buy some! There is a sawmill in Caernarfon that sells bales of cut-offs. That sounds like something I could work with! I think I'll be alright…

No comments: