23 November 2022

Emergency firewood cupboard repair

 Two years ago, I got some furniture for in my garage. Doesn't time fly! It feels like such a recent addition. But anyway; it wasn't the most robust furniture you would ever have seen. But it did the job! And the big cupboard held my painting supplies at the bottom, and various things in the top. And one day Kate got it into her head to remove a tree from her garden, and she didn't have a log burner herself, so she gave the entire tree, chopped up and all, to me. And some of that went in the middle. And next to the cupboard I stuck some of the firewood I still had to saw into bits myself. Quite a lot of that was parts of the stairs of Neuadd Ogwen

One day I got into the garage, and I noticed that some of the stacked firewood at fallen over. And then I noticed a reason why; my cupboard had gone unstable. It was leaning heavily to the left! And it must have  pushed over some of that firewood. Oh dear.

Oh dear (firewood already removed)

I know that meant I had another chore. I needed to reinforce that cupboard! A bit like I had done with the cupboard in my office. So the next Saturday, I emptied the thing out, and biked to the local builders merchant. They didn't sell any strips that were intended to be used for reinforcing furniture, but they sold metal strips that had a different purpose. Good enough. I just bought two of these! And then set to work.

Buying supplies 

To my surprise, this was a chore that was a lot quicker than anticipated. With most chores, it goes the other way! But quite soon I could move it back to where it came from, with three strips added to do it, and then felt confident filling it back up again with paint. The firewood didn't come back; that had by now ended up in the log burner. But the next time I have a bit of a firewood sawing session and I need somewhere to put the results, that space is available again! I think that cupboard will be good for years to come…


Reinforced

Sorted! 

No comments: