15 July 2022

Buddleia sorted

I had been making steady progress with the demolition of my buddleia. There was so little left of it when the weekend came I know it would not see the new week. It might distract me a bit from my other chores, but so be it! And indeed; I knew I had things to do more dependent on daylight then this job, but I couldn't resist finishing this task. Fairly quickly I had cut off and disposed of all the small branches and green stuff. Cutting the big branches off and taking them to the garage was not much work. The actual cutting them into woodburner-sized chunks could wait until the Sunday! But now I had a naked but very alive buddleia. And that needed to change into a dead one, as otherwise it would still have big and growing roots that would be pushing against my wall. It had to become just an inert garden feature.

I grabbed my drill and drilled holes in the ends of the wood. Then I poured some poison (inherited from Rose) in. And then I just had to hope that will do the job! 

It's not just the roots; it is also a bit of a pain the thing is so big it obscures the view, obstructs the road and makes the whole thing look a bit like a jungle. So now I hope that the remaining trunk will provide some shelter for various insects. And then I need to clear the soil and put nice plants in it! And clear the slate wall above it. A lot more to do! But the first step has been taken. And the house already looks decidedly different…                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Before

After (close-up)


From a distance

No comments: