02 February 2023

First activity as EDI lead

With all the activity on the plagiarism front, it will be easy to forget I got two new tasks for the new year! And the other one was Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity officer. The thing with that is, though, that I haven't had the handover yet with the person who has been doing that job up until now. And I'll need a bit of a handover.

In spite of me not actually having started yet, I did get my first taste of what it is the EDI officer does. When we get new employees, they need to get an induction from several people; their line manager, the health and safety officer, and the EDI lead. And the last of these has to tell them about things such as where you can find the various relevant policies of the University, such as Equal Opportunities, flexible working, et cetera. And who the relevant people are that you can contact if you want to. They’re also signposted to various bodies they can become a member of if they wish. 

We had two new researchers, and the departing EDI lead and me decided to do their inductions together. Then I could see how it's done, and the next batch I can do myself! So I suppose the task has now tentatively started!

No comments: