24 February 2023

White Nemesis or white friend

Ever since she moved in with me, my cat has been having trouble with the neighbouring cat. It was her territory first! And she is not going to give up. She will make a point of ostentatiously marking her territory while my cat is looking on from the safety of the conservatory. And they regularly fight.

Last autumn, I suddenly found her looking at a different cat from the safety of the conservatory. A big white male. She seem scared of him too! And when he was seen in the area a bit more often, he acquired the nickname White Nemesis. I could often hear him meowing outside my window.

One day he appeared sitting on the I-beams of Neuadd Ogwen's porch-to-be. Nemesis, the neighbour's cat, and my cat were looking at him from a safe distance. He seemed to be quite comfortable. And he came in for some snuggles. 

White nemesis, watched closely by original nemesis

A week or so later I was in the garage when I heard his meowing again. When I looked outside I saw he was on his beam again, but my cat was actually within the same enclosure, and seemed very comfortable with that. She was only a few metres away! I was wondering if they were becoming friends.

Even later, after dark, I even caught them sitting not much more than a metre away from each other, showing no signs of stress. This was good…

Maybe not such a nemesis after all!

A few days later I saw him when I was leaving the house in the morning. He was really up for some snuggles! And given that my own cat seems to like him I was too.

Quite liking the cuddles

I've been daydreaming a bit! He may be a stray. And he seems to like hanging around my house. And my cat likes him. Maybe he could move in!

I should be careful, though. She might like him as an occasional visitor, but would she like him as a house mate? Is he really a stray? I suppose after asking on Facebook, the only thing you can do is catch him, take him to the vet, and have him scammed for a chip. But that would also be the quickest way of making enemies. No one likes to be shoved into a travelling basket! 

For now I'll just see how things develop. I hope I will one day catch them touching noses. That would really mean they get on! And intact male is a bit of an unlikely friend for a spayed female, but if it floats their boat…

No comments: