11 February 2023

Cave rescue first aid night

The cave rescue team has a monthly training night, and in February the plan was to do some first aid. Especially now that we had a paramedic in the team. And we would meet at the headquarters of Llanberis mountain rescue. Probably because one over team is not only a professional first aid trainer, but also a LlMR team member!

When everyone we expected was there, we split ourselves into three groups: one group would practice the primary survey of a casualty, one would go through our search kits, and one would try out the new stretcher. The search kits, by the way, are the first aid kits we carry if we're still searching for the casualty. They mainly contain universally applicable medical paraphernalia, and stuff to keep the casualty warm and comfortable. Once we know where the casualty is and what their situation is, we can be a bit more targeted in carrying medical supplies to them!

I was teamed up with Sharon and Ron, and we did our rounds. I had practiced primary survey only recently, but I didn't quite know what we had in our search kits, and the stretcher being new, I hadn't tried that one yet. So it was quite useful!

When we were done, I managed to hand over three more medals. I hadn't put the entire box in my car as I didn't expect large numbers of people who were due one, but hadn't received it yet. Everyone in that category obviously doesn't show up very often, otherwise they would already have had it! One of the blokes I gave one to I hadn't seen in years.

I also took the opportunity to flirt a bit with our canine and honorary member Ralph. And then it was time to go home!


Gethin all stretchered up, with Ralph looking on

No comments: