01 April 2023

Sunny hill walk: Pen yr Helgi Du

The day after Dave’s birthday celebrations, we had the afternoon free for a stroll. And the weather was good! So we could go up somewhat high without ending up with our faces in the cloud. And we chose Pen yr Helgi Du. We checked if we could travel to and from start- and endpoint of this walk by bus, but it didn't work out. We drove.

I was still feeling the previous day a bit in my system! I suspect Dave did too. But the walk is not very ambitious. It is rewarding, though; the whole valley is beautiful, so the views are great from the start. And there is a lake by which you can sit and have lunch. And I am never not impressed by the sudden view on Cwm Eigiau you get when you reach the ridge. 

Llugwy reservoir


Just under the summit selfie; anonymised on request


At the ridge I did feel the cold wind! And I was quite chuffed that the most useful part of the prize I had won the previous day (instead of a silver medal) was a thermal headband. It immediately came in handy!

Distant Dave on a pointy hill

Coming across the leat

We took the slightly swampy way down. But that was okay. I was sure that if I would have been on my own, I wouldn't have done much! I felt a bit zonked. But I was glad that Dave had dragged me out. It's really nice to get a few hill hours in on an unassuming Sunday afternoon! 



No comments: