18 April 2023

Onwards with replacing sleepers

I have raised beds in my garden, which are demarcated by old railway sleepers. I think they have been in there for awhile! Some had started to disintegrate. And last year I took the decision to not replace them with other sleepers. If a sleeper falls apart, I just take some stones from the riverbed and use these instead.

One of the sleepers of the raised bed that holds my apple tree was in a really bad state. And last year, I had pulled it out. Michael had asked me if he could help me with the garden in return to me helping him financially, and I thought this might be a nice job for him. But he never showed up! So I had this raised bed without a demarcation, and it was time I would do something about it. One weekend a while ago I had scavenged suitable rocks from the riverbank, but I hadn't had time to put them in position. But then, before post-Easter teaching started again, I did.

Before 

It wasn't even that big a job! And it was very satisfying. That raised bed is ready for the coming years. And I already know which sleeper will go next! But let's first do some things in the garden that are under a bit more time pressure. It is already passed Easter and I haven't sown any vegetables! And I also still have this empty bed underneath the repaired wall!

After

No comments: