17 April 2023

Updating my car

 I normally drive without GPS. I had a satnav, but it was getting temperamental. And I just got used to checking my route beforehand on Google Maps, and just driving on memory. It generally works!

I started reconsidering that when we were called out to rescue a dog. When a location had been given, I had indeed checked it on Google Maps. Just when I was about to get into the car, a message came through that revised that location. I had to quickly check on my phone where that would take me! And I did have to stop somewhere along the way to check if I was still going in the right direction.

When I got to the meeting point, the rescue was already underway. And I decided that I should step up my game. I should just have satnav! So I could just drive to wherever it was I was needed.

I have a phone. Of course, it can function as a satnav. But then it needs two things: a power supply (it doesn’t have much of a battery life), and somewhere to be mounted. And these things are easily sorted. I popped to the nearest store where they sell things like that, and got me a USB charger that fits into the cigarette lighter of the car. My car is so old, it has a cigarette lighter rather than a built-in USB port! I also bought a mount. So now I am sorted! If I get called out again, I can just travel to where I need to be like someone who actually lives in the 21st century. I'm sure that's quicker! And it will even come in handy during other trips I'm sure…




No comments: