21 April 2023

Parys Mountain the 2023 episode

Immediately after the Easter break we would go into the field! And for me, this would be the last day in the field in this module. That would be one more trip, but that would be at the same time as the dissertation presentations, and I need to attend those.

We went to Parys Mountain. I enjoy that trip! It is a special place. And normally, I do all the talking about the geology, and Dei does all the talking about the cultural heritage. It is quite a nice sharing of the tasks. It indeed went like that this year; Jaco was at a conference, so it was the two of us.

We had one complication this year we hadn't had before; it was foggy! And it wasn't too bad, but the Big Pit is called that for a reason, and we couldn't really see the end of it very well. But a lot of the rock we look at in close-up, so then fog doesn't matter.

The foggy Big Pit

I had been reading some additional articles about this site in the train back home back from the Netherlands. So I was more certain of my stuff than I normally am! But I could still be more certain in the future.

Black Smoker deposits

Dei was on a roll with his more historic musings as well. I think the whole day went okay! And it stays a magical site. 

The next trip I will have to miss; that clashes with the dissertation presentations, and I have to be there. But Dei and Jaco will be totally fine without me. So this was the end of the module for me! A worthy end. And I'm sure I only have to blink and we have reached the next academic year, when it all starts again!


Dei talking mining business

No comments: