11 December 2022

Welsh book to reluctantly rush through

I must admit it I don't read much! Somehow, there never seems to be time. I read a Saturday newspaper per week and that generally is it. I have loads of books I want to read, but it doesn't ever really happen. I haven't made an awful lot of progress in the Pumed Gainc in a long time, for instance! 

Recently, another book joined my to do list. That wasn't my idea; we are expected to read it for Welsh class. Porth y Byddar, by Manon Eames.  I had heard of it; someone had recommended it to me. So I did look forward to reading it. However; the day came that we were expected to read the first two chapters as homework. So I started reading.


The setting is basically flooding of the Tryweryn valley. The book starts shortly before the decision is made for that to happen. Interesting subject matter! I had found it very interesting to see a film about one of the people who had tried to sabotage the project. And I almost every day I see murals reminding me (and everybody else) of this event.

Chapter 1 shows your Wales in the rain. And England in the rain. And then it shows you two powerful Englishman who are involved in decision-making. And that was enough for me to decide at this book was not for me. Wales is painted as a complete chocolate box fairytale country, while England is nothing but grey and damp and dirt. And of course, the powerful men are hideous and ugly and uncouth and one has a fat wife. We know enough!

In chapter 2 you get to meet the Welsh. Of course they're all lovely and hard-working and modest and kind and all sorts of things. This is a children's book! The Donald Duck wouldn't have more outrageous caricatures.

I had started reading properly; reading every word, looking up any words I didn't recognise, et cetera. But I have abandoned that now. I just read it as fast as I can. If I don't know a word; too bad! I know it is meant for teaching me Welsh, but this is just too much. I will read it; we do discuss the book in class. But the Welsh learning will have to come out of the class itself, not out of this book.

I might have been spoilt so far! The three books I have read for Welsh glass before (Blasu, y Sw, and Llyfr Glas Nebo) were all marvellous. Maybe it just couldn't last! And when this one is out of the way, I really should go back to the Pumed Gainc…

No comments: