04 December 2022

First aid refresher course

 It was that time again! My first aid qualification would run out in spring, so I had to renew it. And that meant going back again to Parc Menai to do the same first aid course that I had already done twice before. I wasn't really looking forward to it; the tempo is slow, and basically someone teaches you things you already know for two days in a row. But I want the qualification; its use had been hammered home when I was taking students into the field and my dedicated first aider didn't show up. If I wouldn't have had the qualification, I probably would have had to cancel the entire trip. Can you imagine the mayhem! So I had better sit through this in the most gracious way possible.

I did my best! The instructor tries to make it interesting. He tries to engage the audience, and he emphasises things that have changed in the last three years. But he still has to teach us the same curriculum, and almost all of us had done it before. We knew his jokes! 

I am aware that the repetition makes you really learn things. So I do think I have the material clearer in my mind now than I did, say, two years ago. But I suppose I could have just run through the syllabus again on my own. In about an hour. Oh well. I’m sorted again for three years! Maybe one day they’ll make it partly online…

Lunch day 1

Coming back from lunch day 2


No comments: