25 December 2022

New creamery and cheese shop

In the olden days, there was a local market in Neuadd Ogwen every month. I would go if I could. And one of my standard purchases there was local cheese! Cosyn Cymru, run by a lady called Carrie, produces small scale sheep’s cheese. And yoghurt. And I like sheep’s cheese; especially if it is made artisinally and local. 

When COVID shut the market, she would sell once a week on the improvised market on the parking lot next door. And she would tell me about her plans to relocate. There was an old church down the road, and she wanted to move her cheese making there. And potentially cheese selling. And maybe even a cafe! It sounded like a lot of work. 

Then the market came back. And the opening of the creamery turned out to be nigh! She told me to pop in when I was near anyway, but that never happened. And then she told me about the official opening! It was on a Monday night. But after term.

On Monday evening I have Welsh class. That should have ended by then, but it hadn’t; we had had to skip one Monday for reasons of the Queen’s funeral, and therefore the course lasted one week deeper into December than it originally should have. That got a bit in the way; it starts at 6. The opening was 4-8.

I went anyway! And just as I had parked the bike I saw people walk around, clearly for a tour. I joined! I now have seen the inner workings of the place. And then I went into the shop. It was busy! But I felt a bit out of place; it was busy, and I still had two pieces of her cheese in my fridge. Once it’s cut it doesn’t last awfully long! 

I had to get home and have dinner before class as well, so I slipped out. I will be back when my sheep’s cheese has run out! It’s great to have a new local producer in town with a fixed base. I’ll support her as far as I can! 


Pic from the Cosyn Cymru Facebook page


Pic from the Cosyn Cymru Facebook page


Pic from the Cosyn Cymru Facebook page

No comments: