19 December 2022

Strikes everywhere

I had been on strike. The railways were on strike. Royal mail was on strike. Nurses were going on strike. Ambulance personnel was going on strike. Everybody is on strike in this country!

None of this affected me much. Maybe not even my own strike! I suppose it had increased my marking pressure, and it will reduce my wages in January, but none of that is life changing. And there was no urgent mail I needed to send or receive. As I write this, I am still in excellent health. I don't travel by train very often.

Things changed when border control announced a strike. I did plan to cross the border! And I didn't quite like the idea of being stuck in a queue so long I would miss my flight.

I had booked my flight to the Netherlands to be in the period of the strikes. The radio news mentioned that the army was going to be deployed to cover for the border control, but I decided not to risk it. I rebooked my flights to avoid the strikes. That should give me an uneventful trip. And the good thing is that it gives me more in the Netherlands. The bad thing is that it gives me more time away from the cat! I feel a bit bad about that. She is still having bald patches, which might be associated with her just not getting enough attention from me. But when I get back after my trip I will have time to spend with her!

No comments: