23 December 2022

Comfortable but environmentally unfriendly marking

When term came to an end and almost all the work left was marking, I decided to make a slightly selfish decision. I had the essays of my first year tutees to mark. And I printed them out! I tend to zip through such documents. I always check the references, for instance. Are they listed? Are they reliable sources? Are they the suitable source for the information they are a reference to? And on a screen that is a pain. And I prefer to sit by the fire instead. So even though printing is probably not the most environmentally friendly solution, I made sure I had them in hard copy. I only have 10 students. (Ten is much for a tutorial group, but not for a marking load. I have many times more submissions for my shelf seas assignment. I will do that one online.)

It’s been quite nice doing that marking! I sometimes even do it by head torch. I like my living room to be quite dark. And this way it can be. And quite often the cat joins me on the chair, either on the back, or behind me on the seat. 

I want to be quite detailed; the students will do another essay in the second semester, and they will keep writing until the end of their degree. So just on the off-chance they pay attention to all of it, I want to give them as much guidance as I can! And really going through it in detail is best when done in a pleasant way. I hope that it works, and that it will offset the printing. I will find out in the next term! 

Difficult to take a picture of! 

No comments: