21 December 2022

Meeting the new cats

In summer, Sue and Dean's beautiful cat Peas died. It was very sad! But I suppose that at our age, you are supposed to survive any cat you have. And life goes on.

In October, she got two little siblings from the nearby shelter. They weren’t really used to people, and they were very shy. But over time they started to realise that getting cuddles is actually quite pleasant. I was following the story from a distance (they made for many good pictures and videos), but I really hoped that one day I could meet them myself!


the new cats! Pic by Susan

Susan suggested I would meet them before we would all go for a walk and pizza one Sunday, and that seemed an excellent idea. She picked me up on her way back from the shop. 

When I got there, the kittens were on their little platform on top of the stairs. They looked gorgeous! But I knew they were shy. I decided to see if I could approach them. I really carefully and slowly started ascending the stairs, not making any drastic movements. And I watched out for any signs of discomfort of the little cats. I didn't get very far!

One of the cats ran away, and the other one showed signs of becoming uncomfortable so I went back down. I decided to just sit down and see what would happen. Dean brought me some coffee.

At some point, the other cat came down too. She walked right past me. I thought I might stick out my hand just in case she would want to sniff it. I got a little hiss! That was me told.

Susan has a stick that the cats like to play with. And at some point, I had this little cat (the black one) trusting me enough to play with me for a little while. I was very chuffed! The other cat (the tabby) was only running through the house and hiding.

I'm sure there will be other opportunities for getting a bit closer to them! But I'm glad I've seen them in person now. And I'm sure they'll continue their process of gaining trust in humans. Maybe one day we can pet them!

No comments: