01 December 2022

Keeping the heat of the woodfire in

It’s fairly standard for me to not or minimally heat the living room with central heating, and topping up the warmth with a woodfire. But it is desirable then that the heat stays in the room. I could close the door, of course, but the disadvantage with that is that that means the cat either can't get in or can't get out. That's not good! And I don't want to put cat flaps into each and every door.

A solution is to put a curtain there. Which isn't complicated! I still have curtain rods, and I made customised hooks. But of course, this is all in vain without a curtain. My first attempt was on the website of the shop where I bought my other curtains. They didn't seem to have what I needed! Going in person confirmed that. No suitable curtain to be found. So then I turned to any internet shop. I did find something that seemed to do the job, and ordered it. 

When it arrived, I decided to swap it with the curtain that hides the content of my cupboard on the landing. That did involve lowering the rod in there. And then I had a functioning curtain! And it also works. If I am having a woodfire going, you can feel the temperature difference between the living room and the landing. And the cat can still walk in and out. Seeing her negotiate the curtain is actually quite funny. I say it is a success!



No comments: