07 June 2022

Going for a pizza

If I am having dinner with the usual suspects, we generally are in one of our respective houses, and one of us is cooking. But sometimes it is nice to delegate. Susan suggested a walk in a pizza in the Llanberis area. Tom and Siobhan couldn't come, but Martin suggested the possibility of a guest of honour: he would be on the beach with Guy that day, so maybe the they could show up together. That sounded good. For the occasion, we moved the whole thing to Betws y Coed. 

The beach men would be so late they would have to skip the walk, but with the three of us we went to Betws. We decided to walk along the river, upstream. We were basically doing a part of the slate trail in the correct direction! Quite unlike when Kate and I had done it. I remembered it well. I was quite knackered that day! Well, to be honest, I was most days. But that had been our last day.

When we got to the place where Kate and I had been looking at a missing bridge, I was glad to see… a bridge! Sue took a picture of me on it.

Pic by Sue

From there we stomped up the hill, and had a brief explore on what clearly was a mountain bike track. We were very alert to potential approaching bikers! But none appeared. And we abandoned it soon as it was time to go back and place our orders. The pizza place had looked busy so there probably was a bit of waiting time involved. And if we got in there reasonably early, we could order for the beach men as well, so when they would appear all hungry after their adventures they wouldn't have to wait too long. 

And so it happened. We ordered the pizzas for all of us, and then waited. This was not a restaurant in the traditional sense of the word; it was pretty much a takeaway. And soon I got a text from the beach men; they had arrived! Then they joined us. It was good to have all five of us together. It was difficult to remember what the last time was that had happened!

We still had some waiting time but that was okay. And then our pizzas arrived. Mine was really good! And the others were enjoying theirs as well.

Given that it was a takeaway, we didn't get a carafe of water. I had sort of assumed that we would! I did have water in my bag. But I didn't drink that during the dinner (doesn't combine well with goat's cheese pizza), and after the pizza we were slightly chased away by the midges so we didn't linger. And when we got back to the car I made the mistake of putting my bag in the boot, out of sheer habit. So I had no access to the water in the car! I was seriously dehydrated when I got home. But I had had a lovely night anyway. I hope we can do this again soon!


No comments: