21 June 2022

Run for the physiotherapist

Sometimes I have a bit of a niggle, and then I have to stop running for a while. But when I got a niggle in my ankle it wouldn't go away. I spent a while biking instead of running, and it got some extra rest when I went to the Netherlands and spent several days not running at all, and even some more when I came down with a cold. But when I went for a run again after my cold I really enjoyed it, but still felt that ankle. And I got worried. This had gone on for weeks! If that amount of rest was not enough for the ankle, then what was? I wanted to get to the bottom of this. I had looked for a sports physiotherapist in the area before and not found anything, but the world changes, so I just googled around again. In this time, I found something in the general area. Rhos on Sea turned out to have a practice! And I decided I should contact them. Maybe they could find out what exactly the problem was and what I could do about it. I don't want to just give my ankle endless amounts of rest and if not actually paying off!

The practice had a contact form and I filled it out, and before I knew it I received a phone call from the actual physiotherapist. We talked through my issue and decided that he should see me. He had a slot ready the next week. That really cheered me up! I hoped this would be the first step in the direction of getting back to running on the healthy ankle again.

I had only run once since my cold when I had the physiotherapist on the phone. My ankle wasn't in a bad state. I did want to be able to show him some symptoms, so I figured what I needed to do is make sure I run enough before my appointment that the angle would indeed be a bit painful and stiff. That too cheered me up no end. I had just been wondering if I should bike to Idwal Cottage again, or maybe get my mountain bike of the garage and do a loop with that. But the bikes could stay put; I put on my running shoes! And went up my usual hill. And had a blast.

The next day I went for another run. I really enjoyed it! I hope the physiotherapist doesn't say I have been doing nasty damage to my ankle. I hope my plan just works, and that he will have enough information to find out what the problem is, and point me in the direction of a rapid recovery. I would struggle to adjust to life with a lot less running!

Happy and running again!



No comments: