15 June 2022

Solar panels!

When my plane landed and I could take my phone off flight mode, I immediately got a call. It was from the solar panel installers. They had initially been booked to install my panels before I would leave, but they had run into a practical problem, and they had been rescheduled to start on the roof while I was making my way back to Wales. They could do the internal work after my return. Now they phoned me to ask when I would be home. I told them I thought I might make it in two hours. I sort of expected them to still be there when I got home, but there was no one to be seen. And I was distracted by the cat. I had missed her and really wanted to cuddle her again! And that was mutual. But I did quite soon walk into the garden to catch a glimpse of my new panels. I could just about see them! I didn't bother to climb up to the roof; that could wait.

The next day, around 9 AM, a van rolled up. It contained two men who had arrived to connect it all up. The panels were on the roof, but now there needed to be an inverter in the loft, and wires to the consumer unit, and then several infrared panels in several rooms. So they set to work! I had to flee to the master bedroom as I couldn't work in the room where all the action was. There was a lot of action! The drilling a hole through the outer wall for getting a cable to the fuse box was particularly noisy and dusty and smelly. The cat decided to skedaddle. Too much going on!

Roof full!

It looked like they would be busy for a while, so I decided to go for a run. I would have got that over with. Once they would leave, maybe I would have time to do some quiet work! I also made sure to make a start on dinner.

After a while, they also started on the infrared panels. And for that goal, they had asked for reinforcement. Soon there were four men scampering through my house and drilling holes in anything and everything! It was a restless day.

I had to instruct them to lower the infrared panel in the bathroom; that was a mirror, and they put it up so high I could only see the top of my face. That's not good enough. The other panels were okay.

Panels in the office

And in the kitchen

I was glad when they seem to be coming to when and and started tidying up. The work had created a lot of mess! And I'm sure they are instructed to leave the house as tidy as they found it.

At the end, one of the men asked me how I wanted him to program the infrared panels. I didn't want him to program them any which way! I have no desire to have them on everyday. The whole point of infrared heaters is that you switch them on when you need them. At least, that is why I have them. So every room has its own thermostat; if I walk in and I want it to be warm, I just switch the thermostat on, and I can immediately feel the heat coming from the ceiling. Excellent!

One of the other men explained to me that the company that had subcontracted them would sort me out with the software, so I could see what I would be generating. When they left I assumed I was, but I had no way of finding out. I did check my electricity meter; that was suggesting I was taking electricity from the grid. Did that mean the panels were not in action yet?

The company I had instructed to do this did get in touch to send me the final bill. I let them know I totally looked forward to paying that after the process was completed. And that included the software! I want to be able to see a graph of what I generate and what I use. I had hoped to be able to stare at graphs the very first day, but that is clearly not happening. Stay tuned! I hope the halted payment will be enough motivation for them to sort me out with the final touches. I want to know when I can run my kettle on renewable energy!

No comments: