01 June 2022

Evening run

One evening, I was doing some work in the garden, when I noticed the beautiful pink evening clouds. I don't really see the horizon from my garden, so it is not a good place from which to watch sunsets. Martin, Sue and Dean, however, see more horizon from their places than you can shake a stick at, and also in the right direction for good sunsets. So I texted them saying something along the lines of "the sky already looks beautiful from here, so it probably looks absolutely stunning from where you are". And Martin's response was: it certainly was beautiful from where he had been, and where that was was illustrated by a screenshot from Strava

I had done my run in the afternoon, as usual, but now I was wondering if maybe running in the evening might be something I should give a go. You get much better skies if you go later! I go in the afternoon basically for reasons of digestion; I go after my lunch has settled sufficiently to be comfortable running. And running makes you hungry, but then there will be dinner to deal with that. If I run any evening, I need the run after my dinner has gone down. Only in the middle of summer they still have enough daylight hours to go for a run! But would it do weird things with my digestion? Would I stay awake to long? Would I be very hungry in the evening? I suppose there is only one way to find out. 

I answered I probably should try that same view for my run the next day, which had a good weather forecast for the evening. And then Martin said he'd race me. I liked that idea, but only in one direction: uphill. And he couldn't use his electric bike.

The next day I had dinner fairly early, and got ready. And it turned out Martin had had a late day in the office, so by the time I would be ready to run, he would barely have finished his dinner. So he didn't give chase! But he did confirm he had been serious, so we will do it some other day. I look forward to it already! And I know I will be beaten comprehensively, and I also know I will probably run myself to snot, but hey, what's not to like.

Martin was willing to provide a post-run cup of tea. So I ran up and then down, and then I got to see the end of the sunset as well. I had made sure that I had had enough daylight to come down safely! So altogether a good evening. And I think I'll be doing this again. The running in the evening, that is. And stay tuned for the race!
 

View from the second stile


where the hill is smooth


Summit selfie


Setting sun on the way down

No comments: