06 June 2022

Celebrate joblessness

I am thinking about a future outside academia. My one friend Kate is thinking about a future outside the Navy. And my other friend Kate has actually handed in her resignation letter. She was done with the job! And the day came she had set foot in her building as an employee for the last time. And she wanted to mark the occasion somehow. So she had asked me what I was doing that Saturday. I had the citizen assembly, but in the evening I was free! So we decided to go for a walk together. And after some discussion we decided to combine that with a picnic. So when the assembly was over I quickly popped by the shop, and then went home in order to make a quiche. These are such good picnic food! And then I jumped into my car and headed for Capel Curig, where I met Kate.

We grabbed our bags and walked onto a slope that was bathing in late light. It was almost 7 PM when we met, so we were both peckish! And we found a lovely location close to the tree under which I had been sitting with the other Kate during the slate trail. The view from there was amazing. What a way to celebrate. She had made two salads, and also brought a quiche. And I had water in she had some better drinks. I suppose I had been in a bit of a hurry! And it was great to catch up in the evening sun.

The view

After dinner we decided to do a little walk; we could walk straight north from where we had been sitting, and then after only a km or so, make a sharp turn back. It wasn't far, but it was new terrain, the evening light was amazing, and the views were excellent. What more do you want! And when we got back to the cars we sat down one more time to finish the evening off with cake. And then it was time to call it a day!

the walk

post-job selfie

I wish Kate all the best with the next chapter offer life! And I was honoured to have been there at its start. And who knows when the next of us will follow!

No comments: