01 July 2022

Project water butt: all done now?

When I had installed my water butt, I had improvised its drainage a bit. But I did want to do it the proper way. For a few quid, you can buy some kit that lets the drainpipe fill up the butt, but it drops the water straight into the drains when the butt is full. That seemed like the proper solution! But it had sort of lingered a bit at the bottom of my to do list. Now it was time to act.

I installed the additional piece and hope all has gone well. At least it was a day with a lot of rain shower so I would be able to see it in action soon! Would it work?

When I had a look in torrential rain I concluded that in essence it worked, but the connection between the drain pipe in the water but was a bit leaky. The pipe that had been provided had not fit the connector, so I had just used some wider pipe as some sort of converter. And that leaked! I sorted that with electrical tape.  

Altogether, the system seemed to work. And it's still is a bit of a mishmash, with white brackets on a brown with black drainage system, but so be it. It's a lot better than it was!

The new setup


No comments: