19 July 2022

A sign of war relief activity from the council

I was just in an online seminar when my phone rang. I didn't recognise the number. The person on the other side turned out to be a man from Gwynedd Council who phoned me in relation to the fact that I had put my spare bedroom on the "homes for Ukraine" website. He wanted to know if that offer still stood. He said that there was a centre in Bangor for Ukrainian refugees, but it is was full to capacity now. They were now looking for accommodation in the area. 

I confirmed I was still up for it. I did point out I have a cat, so I shouldn't get people with cat allergies.

I know that before I will get refugee, I will still first have to be vetted, and they will introduce me to potential housemates to maximise the chance that it all works out well. So I don't think I will have anyone in my house within minutes. But it is clear that the council is actually actively doing things. I am glad it is! And I am awaiting news.

Were I to get someone, that will be a bit of a culture shock, but I will do my best to make it work out. And it will be one of those ways in which you can make a real difference to someone. I feel like I could pull my weight a bit more in trying to make the world a better place. And I have an excellent tool for it. A house! If that can be a home for someone who otherwise doesn't have one then that would truly matter…

No comments: