17 July 2022

Walnut tree supported

One day I came into the garden and saw that one of my walnut trees was drooping all over its raised bed. That was not good! I remembered the person who sold it to me had suggested they needed to be staked, but it had seemed unnecessary. Pay attention to the word "seemed". I decided I had to stake it now! And I had lots of potential stakes in the garage. So I just picked out one that seemed both long and sturdy enough, and sawed a point to it. Then I dragged it, and a stepladder, into the garden. I do not own a sufficiently large mallet, so I decided I just would dig a hole for the stake, and then bash it in to the best of my abilities with a rock taken from the river bed. I decided to go for two sizes; a small one for the first bits and a big one for the rest. I hoped I would be able to hammer it down so much with the small rock that the top of the pole would become reachable with the big rock. And so I set to work! And it sort of worked. I did manage to bash it in a little bit with the small rock, and with the big one, which was a bit uncomfortable but that was inevitable, a bit further, in the end resulting in a stake that was just about solid enough to support the tree. And I just tied them together with an old shoelace. Sorted! Now I hope it'll hold. One way to find out…




No comments: