06 July 2022

Having the wall rerendered

When I bought the house, the surveyor already pointed out that my west wall needed re-rendering. I must admit that I stuck my head in the sand for a few years. Too many other things to think about! And I had noticed that where the extension meets the old part of the house, there was a bit of water damage. It wasn't much, though! But after I had done up the master bedroom new water damage appeared. And then I wanted solar panels. That was what finally kicked me into gear! You can't have tradespeople stomping around on your flat roof with heavy machinery if there are solar panels lying there. So I really needed to have the rendering done beforehand! And when I ended up with an inverter that would only work with the full array of solar panels, i.e. also the ones on the flat roof, I really really wanted to have that wall done as soon as possible. And I started phoning around for quotes. And it was a small company in Llanrwst that got the gig. They would start a few weeks after the panels were installed.

They started one day later than intended. Soon they were trying to hack off the old render. And that didn’t go well! They suggested they would just seal the cracks and render over the top. Works for me. All I want is a waterproof house! 

Two days later they were done. Now it has to dry, and then I can paint it, and then it should be fine for at least 10 years! I really hope it is.

Before I paint the outside, though, I have a task to do: because of the mild water damage, I have some repainting to do in the master bedroom. If I do that and the new paintwork remains immaculate, that proves that the wall is now waterproof. So that is my new task. I haven't quite figured out how to go about this, at the time of writing, but I do hope I do this once and then never again. Watch this space!


It has started!

Progress

First layer


Finished! But still wet.


The state of the windows afterwards...

No comments: