09 April 2022

Work on Neuadd Ogwen progressing

The first concerts in Neuadd Ogwen are scheduled for the second half of April. But a lot of work needs to be done before then! 

The moving of the one back door and the knocking down of the loading bays was quickly done, but that wasn’t the end of things. On the western side of the building, there were several lean-tos, and the idea was to connect them to the main hall. They were a bit derelict, though, so they all needed their roofs replaced. And the workers told me that when they took the roofs of, all except one of the structures spontaneously collapsed. That created a bit more work!

That wasn't the only snag; at some point quite a lot of material was piled up outside the back doors. I could see the workers really struggle to find space for all the material they carted out of the hall. I asked them about it; were they working so hard the skip rental people couldn't keep up? But it seems that the skip company didn't want to show up for reasons of the high diesel price. 

It still looks like a lot of work! I personally have my doubts they can have these concerts, starting I think on the 20th. But we'll see.

For me, the effects have been small; the work is not very noisy, my car is quite happily parked on the parking lot (in front of the house next to a skip wasn't a permanent solution), they make sure I can always still access the garage (which is important, as I still am heating the house with wood only), and only once was I struggling a bit with getting to work. A big lorry with a grabber was finally getting rid of the rubble that had been piled up. The lorry blocked pretty much the entire road, a grabber might very well drop a rock next to the skip, and the driver couldn't see me. I had to sneak past without my bicycle and ask him to let me through safely! I am not a big health and safety freak, but even I thought that I should not bike underneath a grabber without the operator being aware of that. 

Altogether I wish them the best. It would be great to have Neuadd Ogwen operational again! And I have a front seat spot to follow all the progress…

Running out of space



Logistic challenge

Signs of the tearing down turning into building up




No comments: