04 February 2022

Progress at Neuadd Ogwen

In December I had announced that building work on my neighbour, Neuadd Ogwen, had started. I knew that the main thing the builders would be doing was do up the lean-tos on the other side of the building, and integrate them better (I think so far, you could only access them from the outside); and close up the two doorways on my side of the building, and replace them with one big doorway in the middle.

We are now weeks later, and work is progressing quickly. I could sort of see the builders make a passage from the main hall into the lean-tos , and I could see from the garden that scaffolding went up around their outsides. But then the work on the new big exit started. And that is really on my side of the building, so I had a front row seat to see what was going on. It looks like a lot of work to smash a hole in a wall that thick. The builders confirmed that. And the number of times the skip lorry had to come to pick up the full skip and replace it with an empty one provided additional evidence.

The one thing I am slightly nervous about is the stairs that lead to the old exit; I suppose these have to be removed. I am sure that would be a very noisy job. Smashing a hole in the wall was a job they mainly did with sledgehammers, so that mainly causes some dull thudding. But removing concrete steps will probably involve jackhammers. We will see!

New gaping hole in the wall!

No comments: