29 April 2022

Election? What election?

There were elections coming up. And I always vote! I am only too aware of all the people in space and time who do not have this privilege. I have it; I want to use it. So with these local elections looming, I thought I'd have a look at the candidates, as one does. And then I got confused.

I found the candidates alright; but it was a list of candidates per ward. One assumes you have to vote within your own ward. But there was only one name there! Was I missing something? Or was it just uncontested? I asked a local British friend and he hadn't had a look yet. And then a letter came through the door. It confirmed the elections in my village indeed were uncontested, so there was no point in letting them take place.

I know new what I was up for, but it was a bit disappointing. I suppose counsellor is the sort of job no one wants to do. Once someone has been convinced of taking it upon themselves, everybody else does a step back. I think there is something wrong with the system if this is happening all through the town. But I'm not standing either! Not that I know if I could, by the way, me being a foreign citizen and all. Maybe I should look it up. My aim is to have more time at some point; it would be good to do something for the community with some of that!


An election in three documents: polling card, candidates (one per ward), letter that renders the polling card redundant


No comments: