18 April 2022

Good Friday evening walk

On Good Friday I first had tutorial with one of my dissertation students. Some have been struggling a bit, hence the need for a tutorial on an unlikely date. But then I set about doing chores. But in the evening I decided to go for a walk. The weather had been forecast to be better than during the entire rest of the day. And I had decided to go into the direction of yr Elen; it's one of the local hills I haven't really sufficiently explored. So I had an early dinner and set off. It was just after 6 PM. And I decided to bike the first bit; I parked my bike in Gerlan and went into the valley of Afon Caseg. I wasn't sure if I could do the ridge. When I approached the flanks of yr Elen I decided I wouldn't have enough daylight; I opted for Braich y Llyngwn. And upon approaching it I saw that there were people camping right underneath it. It looked lovely! 

The beautiful valley! In full screen you can see the tents. And notice the ridge I chose which is the last bit of the hill in the sun. 

Afon Caseg

One approached me because he thought he had recognised me from a distance, but I wasn't the person he knew. Was nice to have a small chat though. 

I then clambered up the ridge. While I was doing that the moon came out. It was almost full! It was absolutely gorgeous but an iPhone can't really capture that. And the evening light on the hills was also stunning. I also saw that there was another cluster of tents higher up in the valley, where I had been camping two Easter ago myself. I had had the valley to myself but now there are no travel restrictions any more! The people in the valley could easily be English.

Carreg y Gath in evening light

The moon

The sun was fairly low when I was on the ridge, between yr Elen and Foel Ganol, and I knew it would be dark soon. I walked down the path back into the valley while occasionally stopping to take pictures of the setting sun. Still not something an iPhone is good that. But I sometimes stood still to just admire the view.

Low sun

Sun behind a rock

Distant view

I got back to the valley floor when it was already getting a bit dark. I knew there was no path, and I would be relying on sheep paths. It went okay though. I got somewhat wet socks, and clearly developed a blister on my toe, but that was a detail.

Sometimes I looked back. The moon was amazing above the hills, and there were clouds flowing over the ridge. Such a beautiful evening! I was glad I had done this.

Glorious night view

I got back to a public footpath and followed it. I knew it ran over the fields of a sheep farmer, and even though it was now fully dark the farmer was still doing things with his sheep. I hoped he was okay with me being there. I know there is a public full bath and I have the right to be there, but not all farmers welcome it very much. But he was really friendly and commented on how beautiful the evening was. He was right!

The path then led me straight past Sue and Dean's house. I thought it would be rude to walk past without knocking! So I knocked. And I had a nice small catch-up with Sue. Peas the cat also made an appearance but he was atypically unimpressed by my presence. Oh dear. Where has the romance gone? 

I then walked back to my bike in the blazing moonshine. Just before reaching my bike I met a cute kitten who was a lot more interested in my cuddles than Peas had been. Was that the universe apologising?

When I home it was time to have a quick shower, drink one flask of tea and then go to bed. It had been a good day!

No comments: