03 June 2023

Relative drought

I don't think we're officially in a drought, but I personally find the weather astonishing! I just can't remember the last time it rained. And this is North Wales. 

It is kind of nice, though; it is glorious weather for biking to work, and for having dinner in the garden, and for going on lovely little adventures in the weekends.

Even for the garden I think it's OK. For one thing; with so little rain, nothing is growing particularly fast. And that means less maintenance! And additionally; climate is only going to get stranger, so you don't want to spend a lot of time pampering plants that struggle with a bit of drought if you know it is highly likely that is only going to get worse. If they can’t cope with this, they can't cope with the future. The cold spell in early spring also made a few casualties. So I will be left with the resilient plants. 

The hydraulic head of the water butt is rather pathetic at the moment; I expect it to run dry soon, after which I will give it a good clean. But if I really need water that doesn't have to be drinking water, I can still go to the river. I don't expect that to run dry any time soon!

As I write this, it is completely unclear when it will start raining again. I'm going to try to enjoy this as long as it lasts!


Struggling plant (not sure what species)

Struggling Rosemary

It takes awhile to fill a watering can like this

This grass hasn't been cut in a week; you wouldn't say!

My Pyracantha doesn't see what the problem is


No comments: