23 June 2023

Another dog rescued, but without me

After I came home from my latest mining trip, I wanted to put my helmet in the charger. I always charge it immediately afterwards. You never know when a call-out comes, and your light needs to have a full charge if it does. I noticed a crucial wire of the charger had become disconnected (again). I couldn't charge it! And I was very tired, but I decided to solder it back together straight away. And with my usual lack of skill, I did. And charged the helmet overnight. 

The next day I went for a run. And when I was on a lonely hilltop kilometres away from the nearest road, I saw a message come in on my smart watch. It was our alert system! There was mention of a possible imminent callout. Something was wrong in the east, but it wasn't quite clear what.

I was so glad I had charged my lamp! Not that it would've made a big difference; I was quite some distance away from my car, and my car was a reasonable distance away from my house. And my house is not in the east. So it would literally take me hours to get to the site. This situation might not end up being a call-out after all, but even if it would be, they would probably be looking for people who could get there a bit quicker. But it did illustrate it is good to keep your lamp charged. You never know when you might next need it!

The run was good; by the way! I had decided to go to Abergwyngregyn, and go all the way to the far parking lot by Foel Dduarth. And then do as much of the horseshoe (towards Drum) there as I either felt like, or would be comfortable doing knowing there was thunder forecast for the early afternoon.

I made my way to the ridge, and then followed it until it crosses the Roman Road. And then followed that for a bit further. On the way back I followed the Roman road all the way. It was a really lovely run! It was a bit sticky, but there was a good breeze. And the views were lovely.







In the end we weren't called out. The situation was sorted by a few individuals of our team who had been directly contacted by the incident coordinator (I think), and other emergency responders who had already been on site. It was another case of a dog down at mine, but this was a rather innocuous mine, and the dog was absolutely fine. And very cute! I suppose that counts as a happy ending. Useful reminder, lovely run, and healthy dog. I think this counts as a good day.

No comments: