13 June 2023

Drought finally broken

After weeks of no rain, there was a weather warning for thunderstorms for the weekend. And I thought that would be good. My garden was very thirsty, and I imagined many gardens were.

Grass becoming increasingly yellow 

Plant getting increasingly crispy

The forecast kept changing. At some point it suggested a 40% chance of rain at 5PM, and that was all! But we felt nothing. The 60% chance of no rain had won. 

In the evening there was a tiny little bit of rain. I think my plants enjoyed it. But it was so little that there still was absolutely no water whatsoever in my water butt. 

On Monday night it finally rained properly. I was actually hanging out of the window as by then it was such a special occasion! And the next morning my water butt was about half full. 

We now have three more dry days forecast. But then things seem to get back to normal! So the worst is probably over for the garden. For now. I’m sure droughts will be back with a vengeance! 

As I write this, the forecast is another week with no rain. How long will this continue? And will the effects be significant by then?

No comments: