24 January 2023

Annual tree pruning

It's one of those chores that has to be done every year! I think it is a bit onerous. The main work is pruning my crab apple tree. It is a bit impenetrable, so it is difficult to reach all the new bits with my telescopic tree pruner. I am working that thing at its full length, and both the pruner and its cord snag all over the place. But I want it done! That tree needs to keep its shape. And I had hoped to do this in the Christmas holiday, but I hadn't found the time. And with climate change doing what it is doing, spring can hit any time. So on Saturday with still a fair amount of snow in the garden, I got my act together.

This time, I also used my big ladder! I can reach quite a lot with that. And that is a lot more comfortable. So quicker than normal, I was done with the crab apple tree. And then I proceeded with the plum tree and the Cotoneaster. 

I only got rid of the produced waste the next day, but I was glad to see my garden looking smart again. Not that it will last; in spring the tree will send new shoots up that will have to be lobbed off next winter. But this annual task at least is over for this season!

Before 

After

No comments: