31 December 2023

Getting to the Netherlands

I had been pondering how to travel to the Netherlands for Christmas. Boat or train? I decided to go by train. It looked like the Eurostar would start skipping at least Amsterdam, and probably the Netherlands as a whole, later on in the year. That might be the time to take the boat again. But now that the Amsterdam terminal still worked, I would make use of it. And it is quicker. So you get more time with relatives in exchange for the time away from the cat. 

Then, two days before travel, three things happened. Eurotunnel staff went on strike. Storm Pia damaged overhead lines at London Euston. And I felt myself going down with a lurgy. (Which is not unusual in this time of the year.)

Somehow it turned out that not only did I speak to Jaco and Marjan that day; they also were travelling to the Netherlands on the same day, but by boat. They said they could give me a ride to Hull. And they may have a 4 person cabin, so I could fit in! That was very kind of them. 

The next day I went to bed really early, but not before I had checked both the strikes and the cable damage. Both sorted! So I could stick with my original plan. 

The next day I felt a lot better. And I set off. All went smoothly! And just sitting and reading is just the sort of thing you might do anyway when a bit under the weather. I left home about 8:30 UK time, and was at my mum’s about 21:45 NL time. Not bad! 

On the way to London


No comments: