01 December 2023

Winter has come

The cat had already been dropping some hints by manoeuvering herself between the two layers of my winter duvet. She figured it was cold! Winter had come. And she had a point.

The first way winter manifested itself was by making me really regret I was wearing my thin gloves on my commute to work. My hands were so cold they hurt! I made sure to wear thicker ones the next day. That helped. I also made sure to wear warmer shoes.

That next day I received a text from Susan in the morning; had I got to work OK? It might have been a bit slippery on the road. And I got to work without any incident, but when I parked my bike I had a little chat with a bloke who was doing the same, and he said he had wiped out on a bridge. I know that bridge well! But that day, my route hadn’t taken me there.

When I biked back that day I had an amazing view on the mountains. There was so much snow on them! Not just a dusting at the peaks, but a proper coating. It was beautiful. Unfortunately, my commute doesn't bring me close enough to them for a really good picture with an iPhone.

I must admit, I am a bit apprehensive about the road getting so slippery I have to ride in with spiked tyres again. I know I use my commute for fitness, and nothing creates fitness like biking a considerable distance to work on tyres with extra friction, but the only times I really dread getting on my bike and making my way to work is when I have these spiked tyres on. I am only human. 

I hope this winter will bring some snowy outdoor fun! Time will tell. For now I’ll just enjoy the views, and keep my fingers crossed for good commuting conditions…

Snowy hilltops in the distance


No comments: