26 December 2023

Registered for a duathlon

I don’t think anyone who reads this blog has failed to notice I like racing. So far, I have only done running races. The idea of broadening my horizon a bit is quite old; already in 2014 I was considering races with more elements to it. But I am not a good swimmer, and also impatient, so triathlons are out. But then there is also the duathlon. That cuts out the swimming!

One day I decided I should just give it a go. I googled some nice races. I also told Kate I was thinking about it. She then suggested another flat one in Cheshire. I had been looking at local races. And I’m keen to avoid flat. But racing together would be cool! 

It turned out she would be away for the Cheshire duathlon. And I found out my trip to Finland would not get in the way of the most beautiful duathlon here in the area: the Slateman. So that became the one I registered for. It's many months away, but I really look forward to it! I don't have a road bike, but I don't mind. My commuter bike gets me from A to B.

It just seems to make sense to do a race that involves cycling, given that most of my race training is cycling anyway. And I decided to start easy; I only registered for the sprint. That's 2.5 km running, 20 km biking, and then 5.8 km running again. That should be ok without prep! And if I find it easy, I can always register for the standard distance next year. That is 5.8 km running, 50 km biking, and 11.5 km running. Still quite doable, I think! But maybe I am underestimating it. Hence finding out first. 

It's quiet on the racing front now. But in February, the 2024 season will start. I look forward to it already!




No comments: