23 December 2023

A year in exercise

I am quite the Strava regular. In May last year, I really got in the swing of it , and recorded basically everything I did. I still do it. And it allows me to keep track of how my fitness is going

I keep track, but so does the software. At the end of the year it's offered me a year overview. I don't think it did that last year, or maybe I didn't pay much attention, because I hadn't been recording things the entire year. But I thought it was interesting to see what I had been doing in 2023. It said I was in the top 3% of active people on Strava, but I still was surprised how little I had actually done. I seem to have only biked 2500 miles, and was only active 250 days of the year until the day I saw the overview (Dec 18th). 










I also thought that biking would form a bigger portion of my general exercise. It was only 58%! Hiking and walking wasn't much, but it might also have something to do with that I don't routinely log that. And I seem to be a bit of a good weather sports person; my most days active, most distance covered, and most verticality conquered all fell in July. The only unusual thing I did then was the 10k in Llanberis! And the most hours spent exercising had been in May. That might have included the occasional overnight hike (reported here in June). And indeed, I don't do that sort of thing in winter.

With my penchant for competing with myself, I will certainly compare next year's overview with this year's version. Although I don't think it will really be a competition. If there is a way to see how you have been doing month by month, and compare that to corresponding months in earlier years, I don't know about it. So I will just have to just do my thing, and then find out in December if that was a bigger thing that year than this one. But I think that number of 250 days active should be something I could easily break. After all, there are so many more days in the year!


No comments: