01 January 2024

Christmas in the Netherlands 2023

I had been nervous about whether I would make it at all this Christmas, but all went well! My mum looked surprised when I walked in. She didn’t expect me so early! My Christmas visit had started. But I went to bed early, still having quite a cold.

I went to Monique. Together we went out into the pouring rain to walk the dog. In the evening we did some games that Mike won. Before another early night! And in the morning I did my ankle physiotherapy exercises. The dog looked puzzled. What on Earth was I doing? But then she decided it didn’t matter, and she just joined in. So cute!

Triple selfie

 

I also went to my dad for Christmas dinner. I was the first to arrive. Soon after my nephew David appeared; he would be shared chef with my stepmother Joke. I went for a nice walk with my dad. Later all other guests appeared: my sister with the entire family, including father in law. My niece had brought dessert. And we went for a walk again. Because we could! 

Dinner pic

My dad’s house is easily big enough for all these guests, but whether the dining table would be remained to be seen. It was! It was tight but we did it. It was a good family meal.

I spent Boxing Day with my mum. We went for a walk too! I still didn’t go for a run, as my cold had lost most of its power, but not all of it. And we celebrated by drinking bockbeer (at my request). 

Beautiful Amersfoort

The last day was for cousins. When I’m in the Netherlands we try to meet up with as many of my generation as we can muster. And this time we had a good score! Six in all, with one being a partner. We met in Amsterdam, as my westernmost cousin joined for the first time. It was really good to see everyone! And we made sure to make plans for the new year’s family reunion. 

When we were done my sister said she wasn’t in a hurry, and suggested tagging a cinema visit on. And I thought we might as well. My mother had been feeling a bit under the weather, and had gone to bed. I figured she would feel obliged to entertain me if I would be at her place. Maybe best to come home later and let her sleep! So we went. 

We saw the latest Wim Wenders: Perfect Days. It was a beautiful film! And then we went back to the train east.

Amsterdam Noord under a dramatic sky

I had one last evening with my mother. That was nice! And then it was time to go home again. Back to the cat! And back to my normal life. I will be back! 

No comments: