18 December 2023

Making the cat a wokerata

When I make decisions about what to eat, moral considerations are a big thing. I don't buy meat, I avoid plastic, I try to buy seasonal and local… 

When I buy food for the cat on my shopping rounds I don't think I have a lot of choice. I basically have to buy what is sold around here, and everything contains animal products, and nothing has any certification implying that animal welfare was taken into account in producing the product. That was starting to jar. And I decided to do the reasonable thing: ask Internet for a solution. Whatever you can't buy here in the village (or even in the bigger towns nearby) you surely can buy on Internet. So I started googling if such a thing as ethical cat food exists. I was sure it would! I can't be the only person who wishes to feed their beloved pet with something other than deeply unloved farm animals.

I was right! It didn't take me long to find a website that reviewed ethical cat food. And I went with one of their recommendations. Initially, I didn't order much, because I first want to know if the cat even likes it.

It arrived with a bit of a delay as the delivery needed a signature, and I work full-time. And then I wouldn’t open it until she had eaten what was still in stock. 

The new food

The first signs were good! She first got to the dry food. Her first encounter with that positive. But the second and third meal she had with this stuff she was a bit less enthusiastic. By the fourth she seemed to be back to normal again. I really hope she will continue to like it! And that she likes the wet food too. It would be really great if I can buy her pet food that is as good for other animals and the environment as possible. She is not the only non-human who matters…

Trying the new food

No comments: