Low tide was at 7:17. I need low tide for my sampling, This would be an early start! And I would have to pick the students up from Bangor. That meant: getting up at 5:00, leaving the house at 5:30, load up the hired vehicle at 5:45, picking up the students at 6:15. We could then be at HQ at 6:45, and in the field by 7:15. Perfect timing! Jaco would pick up his students (basically, all those not coming with me) at the same time. And because of the student members, we needed a third vehicle, with some of his students, and some of mine.
It didn't quite work that way. One student had overslept and was only there at 6:30. I had picked up my gear, not Jaco’s; I figured he would do that himself. That was a misinterpretation. Our technician, driving the third vehicle, didn't pick it up either so someone had to get back for it. We didn't have the key for HQ, so we got there for no reason. It was a bit complicated!
In the end we all got to where we need to be, and the tide was still fine. I had discussed with the students where we would take a transact of sediment samples. And that had been conveniently close to parking.
It was a bit misty, but it was dry, and the temperature was pleasant. Perfectly fine fieldwork weather. On the way into the estuary we looked at the environment we came through, and chose which ones we wanted to sample. And when we decided we had been as far as we wanted to be, we tried to survey in the location I took the first sample. I couldn't make the GPS reach its normal accuracy, but it would have to do. At least the sampling went well. We made sure that only take as many samples as we have sieve stacks. That is novel; normally, I make every student take a sample. But this is quite a big class, and that seemed excessive. Fewer samples means less work for everyone.
![]() |
| The estuary |
When we were done, I was quite keen to get to HQ. We could; Martin was there by now. And a few students were keen on a coffee. I would take my student to the lab afterwards, and of course, in the lab, you can't eat or drink. So this was our chance. I also wanted to ask Martin a few things. Jaco and his students were done for the day, so they were more keen to go back to campus. So two vehicles went straight back to campus and mine went past HQ.
It was about ten o'clock when we reached HQ, and I had had breakfast at five. I was quite desperate to consume something. One of the students handed me a coffee and I was very grateful. And I had half my lunch. I also go to ask Martin everything I needed to ask, so after that we could go.
In the lab, all went well (except one mishap with the handle of an oven.) With only seven samples to sieve, and the students really being quite executive about it, we were done quite soon. And then Stef, our technician for the day, offered to bring all the students back to main campus. That was great! That saved me driving there and back. Why use two vehicles when you can use one.
In the office I could do all these other things need doing, and when I was done, I could take the rental vehicle home. Nobody else needed it the rest of the day. And that meant I could drive straight from home to where the students are picked up the next day. That would save me at least half an hour!
The day after had the same schedule. And mostly similar weather, although this time we caught a little shower. The students were quite responsive again. And this time, I got the GPS to work well.
The work in the lab was quick, like the day before. And again, Gareth took all the students back to Bangor so I didn't have to do that. And I processed the samples of the day before. Well before lunchtime I was done! So that was pretty much it for the surface sampling. Popping back into the lab process the second batch of samples will not take long. Onwards to the coring!


No comments:
Post a Comment