The Pedol Peris race would coincide with Neil’s Welsh 3000s, and I wanted to be standby, so not stand on a mountain all day. But the night before, a call came for more volunteers. And I figured there wouldn’t be much need for me in the morning. The chances of anything happening that would improve from my input in the first hours of his hike would be vanishingly small. So I said I could do some early stage volunteering. And Suzie, the race organiser, put me on marshalling duties in Dinorwic.
I drove south on the rain, and walked to my station in the mist. Then the sun came out. And Dinorwic is so beautiful! I also bumped into Helen, who works for the power station there, but now was in function as another marshal. She had brought her dog.
![]() |
| Dinorwic when I walked up |
Soon after Helen had left to go to her own station, I could see the first runner in the far distance. And then two more. They would get to me soon!
![]() |
| There is a runner in this picture, honest |
Not much later the first runner indeed appeared. I could see him for quite a while. For a distance, he looked like Rhys from Hebog. When he came closer, it turned out that he was. But I had a bit of a brain fart, and I shouted something along the lines of “Great running, Siôn!” Oh dear. At least I could show him where he should go, as I was standing somewhere where the route onwards was a bit ambiguous. And he would go on to win the race.
Soon afterwards, a lady and a gentleman ran up together. I know it was only about half an hour into many hours worth of race, but still; a lady in shared second position is quite something!
I shouted at everyone! As usual. Even though I was wearing glasses, I only noticed I actually knew runners (if I did) if they were really close to me. There were quite some Eryri Harriers running. Great! But this is a race our own club organises, and it is right up its street, so that was not unexpected.
There were a few more runners who were not certain where to go. I actually had use! Helen had been worried about runners going places that were sensitive to the power plant, but nobody seemed that way inclined. They just might have gone the wrong way.
When I saw a guy who had nobody in sight behind him I asked if there was anyone else; he said he was the last. So I let Suzie know that was the case, and took off my hi viz and cowbell. I decided to walk a different way down. I like Dinorwic!
When I got to the mill, the goats were there in force. I could get quite close and take some nice pictures. And then I was off home, for lunch. It had been nice, and I had made a small difference to the club. And I still had the rest of the day. So all good. A LOT better than last year! And on another note: how would Neil be doing?
![]() |
| Handsome billy |
![]() |
| Are they flirting? |





No comments:
Post a Comment